Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thing #14

Delicious (formerly del.icio.us)

I don't know why I never joined Delicious until today. I have the worst h
abit of bookmarking anything and everything I find even remotely useful that I *think* I *might* want to view again. Of course I add so many things I never go back and look at those old bookmarks because it seems like too much to wade through. For 5 years it has been around according to the Delicious blog. Wow! I used to think the old spelling was kind of funky. I like that it was unique, but I admit I could never remember what the site actually was and that probably kept me away from it. I can be lazy like that sometimes! I really like Delicious because it allows you to tag and add a greater level of detail. I think that is what is fundamentally missing from saving bookmarks in your browser. Also you can keep all your bookmarks online so you don't have to worry about what happens when you use multiple computers, browsers, etc.

The potential for this helping me organize links I find through various listservs is huge!

You can also see how many others have saved the link. I think t
hat's a good tool for gauging how much people might be aware that a certain site exists. It's fun to see the first person who ever saved a certain site to Delicious. For example, I'm the first one to save a site about ADHD and marriage from about.com
I understand part of the purpose is to make the terminology social and more open to anyone. But it's hard for me to use a consistent tagging scheme. I know I can view what tags I've used but when I'm in the middle of adding something really quickly, I'd rather not have to go looking for tags I've used before so I can keep everything standardized and easy to find later. If only when you start typing in a tag, it could start to auto-fill the tags in based on what you have used before? Also, I wish all the sites you can tag on could work together. I'd love to be able to click on the tag "library" and see content from Delicious, Flickr, Blogger, etc.

1 comment:

Carole Matthews said...

Loved your comments and I do (did) many of the same. I stated to save sites in a folders with names like "New Site" "Sites to Check" so I wouldn't forget to go back and see if it was something I really wanted to save.

I use Firefox and it has tagging, but then I want to use the same tags for both. I should just use Delicious except for the few websites I don't want on a public site.

I really like being able to save and access sites at school and home. Fortunately Delicious is not blocked at school.